Uncertainty. It’s the one constant in today’s healthcare environment. And of course, uncertainty causes a multitude of questions to arise.
How will the 2.3% medical device tax affect small medical device companies? How long will it take the FDA to issue a 510(k) approval? Are we really looking at $60 million for this PMA? What will the reimbursement picture look like? How much time and money will it cost to comply with the Sunshine Act?
Tons of questions, but few concrete answers. With all of these external forces squeezing the medtech industry, we can be certain of one thing. All medical device companies will be forced to step up their game. More diligence, additional scrutiny, etc. And this certainly applies to M&A activity. Large, strategic medical device companies will become even more selective in their pursuit of pre-revenue startups and technologies.
So if you’re an early stage medical device startup, how you can best position your company and technology with prospective buyers and/or licensors? Enter Don Urbanowicz, Principal at Urbanowicz Consulting. In this interview, Don will help us discover what medical device buyers are looking for in early stage medtech startups.
Here’s What You Will Learn
- What are the 3 “must haves” that are typically at the top of a prospective buyer’s list of requirements?
- Is their room left for the traditional model of incremental product improvements (with minimal clinical data) at higher market prices?
- How important is strong medtech IP?
- How do prospective medtech buyers review deal opportunities?
- What are the 6 steps of a typical transaction proccess. And how long does this usually take?
- Will too much risk outweigh the value drivers when a potential acquisition has been identified?
- And much more!
This Is What You Can Do Next
1) You can listen to the interview with Don Urbanowicz right now:
2) You can also download the mp3 file of the interview by clicking here.
3) Read the following transcripts from my interview with Don Urbanowicz. Also, feel free to download the transcripts by clicking here.
Read the Interview with Don Urbanowicz
More About Don Urbanowicz
Don Urbanowicz has a 30-year track record of performance with multinational healthcare companies. He has served in various leadership roles spanning General Management, Global Marketing, Sales, Strategic Planning, and Business Development.
Don has successfully concluded 40+ transactions (35% outside the U.S.), primarily pre-revenue/technology and revenue-generating bolt-ons, since 2001. Deals included stock and asset purchases, exclusive licenses, supply/distribution agreements, equity investments and divestitures primarily in the hip, knee, spine, orthobiologics, stimulation and sports medicine segments.
Don has held prior senior management positions at Stryker (VP of Business Development at Orthopaedics Division); Smith & Nephew (President of Surgical Gloves Division; Senior VP of Strategic Planning/Business Operations and VP of Global Marketing at Orthopaedics Division); Sofamor Danek (Executive VP of Global Marketing); and Aircast (VP of Sales & Marketing).