CMS has an objective to shift 50% of all reimbursement services from fee-for-service to alternative, value-based methods by 2018. And bundled payment models, according to Dr. Dan Mazanec, will be the principal driver of this transformative initiative.
But the topic of value-based healthcare can be pretty confusing , right? Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement. Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act. MIPS vs. APM. The list goes on and on. How do you begin to understand it all? And if you’re a leader within your medtech or biotech organization, how should you begin to prepare your company for the future?
To help answer some of these questions, I invited the aforementioned Dr. Dan Mazanec to join Medsider Radio. He’s currently the Chief Medical Officer for Dorsata. Prior to joining Dorsata, Dr. Mazanec was the Associate Director of the Center for Spine Health at the Cleveland Clinic. Board certified in internal medicine and rheumatology, Dan led the development and implementation of the Spine CarePath across the entire Cleveland Clinic Health System.
Interview Highlights with Dr. Dan Mazanec
- How did the original concept of bundled payment models start? And what was the original intent?
- 2 early examples of bundles payments from the 80’s and 90’s.
- An overview of the Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement (CCJR) program and the potential ramifications for medical device companies.
- The shifting financial risk in healthcare and why care coordination will be so important.
- What the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) means for healthcare, and more specifically, the 2 paths to reimbursement for physicians (MIPS vs. APMs).
- How the concepts of Meaningful Use and Advancing Care Information will change and their impact on solo or small physician practices.
- Specific to bundled payments and reimbursement, the top 2-3 things that medtech companies need to consider right now.
- Dan’s favorite non-fiction business book, the business leader he finds most inspiring, and the one piece of advice he’d tell his 30-yr. old self.
This Is What You Can Do Next
1) Listen to the interview with Dr. Dan Mazanec right now:
2) You can also download the mp3 file of the interview by clicking here.
Don’t forget – you can listen to this interview and all of the other Medsider interviews via iTunes. And if you get a chance, leave us an honest rating and review.
About Dr. Dan Mazanec
Dr. Dan Mazanec is the Chief Medical Officer for Dorsata. Prior to joining Dorsata, he was the Associate Director of the Center for Spine Health at the Cleveland Clinic. Board certified in internal medicine and rheumatology, he has been a leader in the development of the emerging specialty of Spine Medicine. A frequent lecturer at international and national meetings, he has authored more than 70 book chapters and papers and is an active member of the North American Spine Society with a particular focus on the development of evidence-based clinical guidelines. Dan led the development of the Cleveland Clinic Spine CarePath, which merges evidence-informed clinical management of spine disorders with patient-entered clinical outcome data.