On this episode of Medsider Radio, our guest is Travis Sessions, the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Biomerics, a leading mid-market interventional device contract manufacturer. He’s also a Managing Partner of Med Venture Holdings, a unique medtech growth equity investor. With over 20 years of business management experience, Travis has successfully built and grown multiple medical device technology companies during his career. He got his start professionally at Dow Chemical and has held management positions at Microsoft and Parker Hannifin Corporation. Travis has a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from Brigham Young University and a Master’s in Business Administration from the University of Michigan.
Interview Highlights with Travis Sessions
- Macro trends within the medtech market, including Travis’ thoughts on the future.
- Key differences between contract manufacturers (CMs) and large original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).
- How quality CMs can best support OEMs.
- Critical things that OEMs should look for when identifying and working with CMs.
- The origin story of Med Venture Holdings.
- What Travis looks for when vetting early-stage medtech ideas.
- Critical functions that need to be in place for a medical device startup to be acquired.
- Travis’ favorite book, the mentor he most admires, and the advice he’d give to his 30-year-old self.